Friday, December 7, 2012

Advent & Emotions

It's midnight, I'm wearing snuggie. I just finished putting some overnight baked oatmeal recipe in the crockpot. One of those where the recipe says one thing so I do another. That's how I roll.  Den and I started out watching You've Got Mail together, but we ended with him snoring and me crying. Crying, people. Crying during the end of a movie that I've seen more than once. Granted, it's been a long time, but still. So emotional lately. But I think it's a good thing for me just to let the tears come at will or else later on there will be a dam break and nobody wants that. We've continued our advent calendar. The kids seem to look forward to it. We haven't lit a candle once. That's okay. We usually end up doing the verse at dinner and peeking at the activity during the day.  One night it was Van's turn to open it.  He unfolded the activity and said "I have a dog." Laughter erupted, it was a good moment. I love that he attempts to read, or at least be creative in his guesses.
Day 2 - Hug a friend (preferably not in attack mode)
Day 3 - Help someone out (I promise I'm not making these up to get out of work, but I'll take it just the same!)
Day 4 - Eat a Candy Cane


Day 5 - Dance to a silly Christmas song (Muppets 12 days of Christmas, beaker is hilarious)

Day 6 - Read a Christmas book (Notice Van's red face from his total meltdown because it was time to turn off wii for a book. He got over it.)
Day 7 - Make an ornament (Make sure mommy looks up directions and doesn't rely on her memories from Sunday school.)
Verse that overlapped for the past couple days:  Luke 2:1-3 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) And everyone went to their own town to register.

It was fun to see the kids faces as they understood what it would mean for them to have to go to their birth towns (for sake of example) for a census.  Light bulb moment was witnessed!

2 comments:

  1. did I know that you own a snuggie? love the advent fun. great job! Van is too hilarious. love him. and glad you could get some emotion out, girl. hope you had a successful shopping day today. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a Christmas gift a couple years ago. don't be jealous.

      Delete